About this policy
Amber Electric will do the right thing by its customers and we know privacy is important to you. To provide you with a service we need to collect, store and in some cases share personal information. This policy explains how we manage that in order to protect your privacy.
This policy relates to all activities of Amber Electric Pty Ltd ABN 98623603805 including its website. References to “us”, “we” and “our” in this policy are references to Amber Electric, its related bodies corporate and its contractors.
This policy is also consistent with the policy of our primary partner Energy Locals Pty Ltd, ABN 23606408879 (Energy Locals), who is the retailer and provider of energy to customers of the Amber energy product.
The Privacy Act 1988 (the Act) sets out the Australian Privacy Principles (the Principles) and we are committed to following them, as they are designed to protect confidentiality. Information that can be used to identify an individual (such as name, address and so on) is classified as personal information.
Why and how we collect personal information
Amber will only collect personal information if it’s necessary for one or more of the services we provide to you.
Where possible, Amber will always collect personal information directly from you, either via a form you completed on our website, email, post, via a phone conversation with you (the phone conversation could be with Amber or a third party authorised to work on behalf of us) or via a community or commercial partner of Amber. There are also situations in which we may collect information from others, such as meter data from a distribution company or metering coordinator so we can calculate your usage, or information from your existing energy retailer so we can fulfil your request to transfer to us.
How we keep your information secure
We will store your information electronically wherever possible. Mostly this will be within our customer billing system. Where other information needs to be stored electronically, it will be held in password-protected storage areas and only staff who need access to personal information will be able to retrieve it. From time to time it may be necessary to transfer information outside of Australia in order to process it and provide our services to you. Where this happens, it will also take place using secure transfer and storage methods. The countries it may be necessary to transfer personal data to include the United States of America.
All Amber Electric staff are based in Australia, so where information is transferred outside the country it is purely for processing and never for an overseas employee or sub-contractor to use it to provide you with a service.
If it is necessary to store personal information physically, it will be held using reasonable security precautions at our offices.
Use of your information
To provide you with our services, we use your information in a number of ways, such as:
- setting up and maintaining your electricity supply with Energy Locals;
- confirming your identity;
- emailing you with relevant information about your account with us, or about products and services we offer which may benefit you;
- communicating with you;
- carrying out credit checks, receiving payments and collecting debts;
- providing you with information on related products and services;
- external and internal reporting to regulatory bodies; and
- assessing the performance of our business (at an aggregate, not individual customer, level).
Your personal information will not be disclosed outside of Amber or Energy Locals except as outlined in this policy. If you leave Amber, your information may be used to:
- collect any money you may owe on your account;
- ask you for your feedback on us;
- report, on an aggregate rather than individual basis, how our business is performing; or
- report to regulatory bodies as required. Disclosure of your information
The only time we will disclose your personal information outside of Amber or Energy Locals is when:
- we are required to by law or it is requested by Police or other Government authorities;
your local distribution company, metering coordinator or metering provider requires information to maintain your supply or resolve a dispute;
- we carry out a credit check;
- we need to use a third party to collect overdue debt;
- you choose to move to a different energy retailer
- we need to work with an ombudsman or other approved body to resolve a complaint or dispute;
- we need to add your information to other customers’ information so we can measure the overall performance of our business;
- we need to communicate with one of our community or commercial partners to tell them which
- customers have chosen to support them; or
- you tell us we can do this.
Mention Me and Amber Electric
Mention Me Ltd is responsible for the operation of our refer-a-friend-program and may need to process customer email addresses and certain order data for the purposes of:
- Enrolling customers onto our refer-a-friend program;
- Monitoring the programme and safeguarding against gaming or fraudulent use of the program;
- Communicating with customers in connection with the operation of the programme and delivery of rewards;
- Reporting to [Controller] on the performance of the program
Data Protection Officer: firstname.lastname@example.orgYour access to your personal information
You can ask us to share with you the information with hold about you. You can do this by emailing us at email@example.com. If you think that we are holding inaccurate information, you can ask us to change or delete it. We can’t guarantee we’ll be able to meet every request to change or delete information and if we can’t, we’ll explain why.
If we’re sending you information about new products and services that you don’t want to receive, you can opt out of these communications at any time by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your payment details
We do not store credit card data. All credit card data is stored by our banking partners, either Westpac or Stripe. The transfer of bank account data (eg BSB and account number) always takes place using an encrypted Secure Socket Layer protocol.
Your own login details
When you set up a login for online access to your Amber Electric account, it’s your responsibility to keep those details secure. Please logout after using the Amber Electric website if others have access to the same computer or device.
Cookies and our website
If you start the process to join Amber but don’t finish it, we may use the information you entered up to that point to contact you by phone or email to see if we can help.
Our 3rd party service provider Mention Me Ltd may also place functional cookies if you interact with our refer-a-friend program. If you want to read more details about those cookies and how they use them please refer to Mention Me Cookies policy
Changes to this policy
Amber may change this policy at any time and we’ll notify you of changes by posting a message on our website.
If you feel we have not complied with this policy, please contact us so we can investigate. You can contact us by emailing email@example.com